More terrain wibbling

I'm feeling the itch to build a new piece of terrain. I feel that I need something large and complex. Or a complex. It doesn't have to be large. Somebody posted on the Facebook group that they had a Forgeworld Anphelion base (alongside a ton of other cool stuff) and I suddenly thought it would be such a cool addition to a table set up. If you don't know what I'm talking about here is a pic.




Now obviously this setup is going to cost a whole load of money that I don't have so i'm going to have to improvise. But there are other things on the market. The stuff that warmill are doing is nice but a little too busy for my liking.

But I am a resourceful man so I cam surely do this on my own terms.

So what are we looking at

  • I want a set of terrain that can be used on it's own or with the Ferrograd stuff
  • I want rooms and tunnels
  • I want junctions and possibly curved/corner sections.
  • I want entrances/exits
  • I want it to be as modular as possible
  • I want to be able to make it out of scrap at work.
  • I want it to be free or cheaper
I like the way FW have based their base around octagonal rooms as it gives plenty of directional options but to be fair I am likely only to use the 90 degrees rather then 45 as that limits the space the tunnels can take up. So I reckon the easiest thing to do would be a square room but with truncated corners to give an octagon with 4 large edges at 90 degree intervals and smaller edges at the 45's (don't worry, diagrams will be forthcoming). I think I could do between 6 and 8 rooms without much hassle. If I make one room with 4 entrance points and 2 with 3 and then one with 1 that gives me between 2 and 4 other rooms with an entrance and and exit.

The corridor sections need to be suitable by length, as you want a figure to move a certain distance in a turn. In RT and necromunda the normal movement rate is 4" and you can double that if you are running. The assumption is that if you run you won't be able to operate the door. So I reckon each section could be 4" safely without a character going form one end to the other in a single move (remember they have to start inside the room so would stop outside the next one). Corridor sections could also be strung together to make longer ones. I reckon 10 sections will be enough.

4 entrances and exits should be enough for the whole complex I reckon.

As far as texturing goes. I really liked the method I used on the walkways that I did recently.


So onto some pics. Bearing in mind the above this is quick sketch-up image of some of the components.

And again thinking about the final look. Here is the first room piece I knocked up this morning.

Plus some more for a couple more.
I'll see what else I can get done today. stay tuned!!

Comments

  1. Duuuuuuude, you did it again ! Awesome stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really very inspiring stuff, you're very talented. This would also make for some interesting add ons to space hulk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to get my arse in gear and get my table done and post some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The CDT teacher strikes again! Keep up the good work cause the upshot is I get to play on it =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment