Wednesday, 26 March 2014
Thankyou Asslessman! Or how to get a Head in the Blogosphere.
Yesterday The wonderful Asslessman from leadplague blog nominated me for a Liebster award. After a bit of faffing it turns out this is a kind of blogging chain-letter that is passed between Bloggers in an attempt to get other peoples blogs noticed and to give lots of backslapping and good vibes to each other.
If you've never visited the Leadplague blog might I suggest you spend some spare time reading through his site. A lot of the bits and bobs that he gets up to have influenced me and he's the kind of oldahmmerer that I'd love to meet and game with but as we live in different countries this may be something that may only happen occasionally (oldhammer day?) if ever.
So the Liebster award basically comes down to a couple of tasks followed by a pass it on kind of thing.
I need to
1. Give 11 truths about myself
2. Answer the 11 questions Asslessman posted on his blog
3. Pass on the award to 11 other bloggers and tag them in this post
Seeing as I'm a contrary bugger I'm going to start by doing things in the wrong order. So I'm gonna answer his questions first.
1) How did you end up spending a lot of time/energy/money on such a hobby ?
I think I got my first figures from an older cousin who no longer wanted them and around the same time I got into the Fighting Fantasy books. I made friends at highschool with a group of guys who were into similar things and we hung around and played. Teenage years meant that I dropped the hobby in favour of music, booze and maybe girls. Years later one of the school mates who had gone on to work at GW suggested that I set up a club at the school where I worked. I got sucked back in.
2) What or Who had been your major influence(s) over the years ?
I've always liked Brian Eno's approach to work and problem solving. If you make a mistake take advantage of it and accept it like that's what was meant to happen.
3) What part of your hobby would you want to explore further on ?
I'd love to be able to sculpt and I'd also like to explore casting mainly cos I'm fascinated by the process of both and would love to know how they both worked in detail.
4) What does this hobby bring you, what makes you keep it?
Escapism probably. I just like to concentrate on something creative but the gaming and blogging allows me to meet new people and share an interest.
5) What part of your personality would you change if you were forced to?
Laziness and shyness. I reckon for the most part I've dealt with the Shyness but still occasionally rears it's head and often really surprise's people when I mention it as it doesn't come across at all in my job. The laziness I've learned to accept and work round as best I can, it's part of who I am but it doesn't need to change ruin my life!
6) What animal would you be?
A dog. What a great life!
7) Is your glass half empty, half full or twice too big?
Half Full. Unless you are offering a refill?
8) What would the 10 years old you would say of the present you ?
Enjoy being a kid. Don't worry about women, you're better looking than you think! Lol!
9) What makes you really laugh ?
All kinds of stuff. Home video fails at the moment. Father Ted, In the thick of it, My kids, old pissed scots boys chattin up young women in pubs.
10) What is your top 5 songs or musics?
I hate this question, I've never got an answer. I went through a stage of being a right snob about music but I think I've calmed down in my old age. I'll list 5 albums that you should probably listen to if you ever get the chance.
Roxy Music - Roxy Music
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Trouble man - Marvin Gaye
Hit to death in the Future Head - The Flaming Lips
Landing on a Hundred - Cody ChesnuTT
11) What are your top 5 reads?
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Slaughter House 5
The Great Gatsby
Homage to Catalonia
Next thing I need to do is tell 11 truths about myself. Truths? This could be taken several ways but i'll just assume that you want to know 11 things about me that may or not be embarrassing.
1. Although I do like Whisky, my nom de plume doesn't actually relate to this but comes from an episode of 'Yes Prime Minister' from 1982. The extra 'e' just means I'm bad at spelling!
2. I'm a teacher at a secondary school and I'm in fact 'the scary one' that other teachers get to shout at their kids. I'm also a Head of Year which means I'm in charge of 186 kids for four years and I'm currently on my 4th cohort.
3. I'm Scots. But I live in England. All three of my children cannot roll their r's which makes me sad.
4. I got kicked out of University when I was 19. I had a girlfriend and spent more time with her than at Uni and didn't do enough work. Simple. Best thing that ever happened to me.
5. I trained as an Industrial designer. I did go back and finish my degree after a fashion and, almost subconsciously, mentally deconstruct stuff as I like to know how they work and how they are put together.
6. Between getting kicked out and going back to Uni I worked in a record shop for 5 years. I sold a lot of spice girls records.
7. I really, and I mean really, enjoyed doing technical drawing when I was at school.
8. I've been married and divorced and I'm now married again and am now very happy. I have 2 daughters from my first marriage and I have a son from my new marriage. I look after my girls just under 50% of the time but it's not easy. They adore their little brother. It's really important to me that they are all close.
9. I miss my mates from home more than I miss my parents and brother!
10. My wife is my best friend and she's really cool. It was her idea to have vikings for our wedding Favours. I thank god (who I don't believe in!) every morning that I met her. (I've been told to add that she is pretty and not a geek)
11. If Snicket hadn't found my blog last october I probably wouldn't have ever posted gain so I have him to thank for all the posts I've put on since then. Cheers bud!
So now I have to reccomend 11 blogs for you lot to check out. I've no idea if these guys will know that I'm nominating them for a Liebster but if you decide to go and visit drop them a note while you are there and let them know.
Army Royal - Stuart (if that is his real name!) is producing a gorgeous early renaissance army covering Henry IV invasion of France. I'd love to remain this focused on a project, a true thing of beauty.
dalauppror - I see battle report from this blog on LAF all the time. The tables always look brilliant and the scenarios well thought and historically accurate. I lovely blog.
harness-and-array - Another long term labour of love project. This time burgundians. Showing off the Perry figures and some perfect conversions.
lajourney - Another medieval blog but this time from the hundred years war. well researched and brilliantly presented. I've played games of WAB against the blogger in the past but he probably won't remember!
project auldearn - A really well researched and executed English Civil War army but scots. Another blog that shows that I am a flip flop wargamer.
This is Orlygg 40K blog and I was actually aware of this long before I was a aware of the Realm of chaos one and is responsible for dragging me into the oldhammer movement. I'm posting it here in the hope that he pays more attention to it and starts posting more Rogue Trader stuff!
This is Snickit's blog who is brother to Erny and he was the one who basically encouraged me into blogging regularly so I'm suggesting him to return the favour.
This guy shows how to get a project done. Industrial scale painting, planned to perfection resulting in fabulous, huge games.
Amazing blog full of wonderful conversions and stunning paint jobs. Small projects but beautifully detailed.
Amazing scenery. Brilliant games. Fantastic paint jobs. A whole load of fun. Another guy that I'd love to playing games with but another sea is getting in the way.
wheretheseapoursout A fellow member of OGRE who's blog posts are well worth more people finding and appreciating. Lovely bloke as well.
So the 11 questions that I'd like these people to answer (should they ever realise they've been nominated)
1. Where would you rather be right now.
2. What would your last meal on earth be?
3. What is the best meal you cook?
4. Do you lie to your other half about how much you spend on your hobby?
5. What would you have written on your grave stone?
6. Which place on earth do you want to visit the most?
7. Which invention do you wish you were responsible for?
8. When did you realise that you were old?
9. Who would you leave all your miniatures to?
10. If you could commision a range of figures what would they be?
11. Top 5 Sci-fi films
Thats me done!
Normal service will be resumed soon!